Saturday, October 28, 2006

Hmmm...

I am grateful to my Grandmother for keeping me accountable to this blog. I have started to write a few different times and have stopped short, but when Grandma asks to know what is going on... then it is time to start writing. I have had a difficult time writing, not because I lack fun stories or interesting developments, but rather because the most heavy things on my mind lately are darker. I really don´t think that they majority of people want to hear about them. But... this is my reality too. I am constantly pondering my place, my role, and how I am perceived by people here. I am the ¨Gringo¨: an outsider who is assumed to be rich and is a mysterious curiousity.

I´m reading a book called ¨Las Venas Abiertas de Latinoamerica¨, which is really interesting if quite political. There was a quote that caught me and reminded me of the reason why I chose to come here. The quote went something like this: ¨If you are doing nothing to change our current unjust system, then you are perpetuating the system.¨

I think that it is often difficult to see or understand ëxactly what is this so-called ¨system¨ and how it is so unjust as we look around our surroundings in the States. Yet, it seems that here the signs are a bit more clear. Thigngs are very far from the way that they should be. My neighbors make $150 a month or $5 a day. Which is probably extremely wealthy if I would go down to Bolivia or cross the ocean to some parts of Africa.

I spend the vast majority of my time convincing people that everything in the U.S. is so much more expensive than it is here... which technically is true. I also validate all of the cars that we have, because we don´t have adequate public transportation... also techinically true. I just fail to mention that very few in the States could ever imagine living in the conditions that these people take for granted.
A medical clinic that is open and has a doctor... sometimes (there is not any kind of fixed schedule). Schools that have teachers... most of the time (when they decide to come). Water that flows... half the time (and still you have to boil before you drink it). A telephone that works... but only ONE and it is by the church (although I think that two or three other families have a telephone directly to their house!). Kids have shoes... but that are only to be used for school or special events so that they don´t wear out too soon (old women don´t often wear shoes).

Interestingly, I don´t think that the problem is as easy as that these people are too poor. I think that it is equally problematic that other people are too rich. How did such a difference become acceptable to us?

My purpose with this writing isn´t to convict anyone or make us all feel guilty. My purpose is two-fold: As always, I write in the hopes that the people who love me and whom I love can get a glimpse into my mind and my life. This discrepency between what I have always had and could return to within days (I have a free plane ticket home if I choose to quit)and the reality of these people´s lives which have never known a luxury and without some amazing change, never will.

I must and I do constantly think and analyze and pray about what these things mean for my life, my job, my faith. How must I now live in order to live a life that makes sense? How must I change?

Oh... and the second reason that I write this particular ¨entry¨. It is to make you think. I always tell my students: I don´t care about the ¨right¨ answer, I want you to think!! I want you to consider if this crazy difference between the ¨top¨ and the ¨bottom¨ has anything to do with your life. And if so, what changes need to be made.

Hmmmmm...

(It would be interesting to get some comments on this one... then maybe you could help me process as well).

7 Comments:

At 7:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Steve,
My name is Bethany & I am becoming good friends with your brother, Dan. I am tickled that he is the root of your profile 'complex':) We are praying for you as you seek to make a dent by observing, learning, loving the people you are with for this season of life. My sister is currently a missionary in Venezuela for 2 years, and though you are not called a 'missionary', I can sense you take this calling in life to be with these people quite seriously. Thanks for giving others a glimpse into your mind as you journey in Ecuador.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola Steve :)
(yo soy la amiga de Katie) Que escribio es dificil, las personas de Ecuador probablamente no comprenden los estados unidos por que ellos no han ido a los estados unidos, y la vida aqui es muy differente que alla. Pues, no se que pensar para seguro. Ud. esta preguntando las preguntas que son importantes, y si ud. puede encontrar una respuesto, entonces bueno para ti! Ojala que es bien para mi a escribir a ud. en espanol, mi deletreo es mal, pero estoy tratando con la computadora. Voy a Peru este Primavera de semana, por SVSU, a ser un voluntaria en un orfanato para auydar los ninos. Pienso que vere algunas cosas mismas de Ecuador alla.
Muchas gracias para su paciencia...y ojala a escuchar de ud.! :-D
En Cristo,
Christina K.

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger dumela83 said...

You will make a great impact. Dont get down, I know that God is going to great things with you where you are. Yes people everyone outside the US things that we spend too much money and what not some of its true and well some of it is that the US dollar is stronger compared to other places. There is poverty every where you go, its part of the fall. By buliding relationships with the people that you are around every day you are buliding a case for Christ. Know that God is with when you go to bed at night and when you get up in the moring. God is right alongside you and when things get hard he carries you. Also know that there are a lot of people in the US and I am sure around the world praying for you. Wow this is getting long! So I will come to an end by saying it is nice to hear about what you are doing.

 
At 9:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Steve,
I love reading your thoughts...and you really hit a soft spot this time! Thanks!
As Aaron and I prepare to go to Guatemala, I have had the same thoughts about how we might be considered the rich North Americans coming here for ...what exactly...? How can we just go for 2 years, or however long, and come back and live a typical North American life after seeing people in a culture of struggle...real struggle...
I guess time will tell what is to come of our lives and what they mean as we see the depth of pain that the majority of the world feels daily...while North Americans (and the rest of the developed world) eat up all the resources and money to fulfill empty conveniences.
We had a discussion the other day about how many pairs of shoes we would need to take with us....yikes!
I think as Americans we want to just fix it and make everybody happy as fast as possible. However, a great idea for change, although slow, effective no less is what KIVA.org is doing with micro loans. It does not however change the spread between the wealthy and exteremly impoverished. (At least not yet) That comes with a modification in thought and real love for our neighbors around the world. I can only hope people like you and hopefully me will have the experience to be a convincing voice for those so oppressed they cannot speak for themselves.
Hope to see you soon!
Becky

 
At 5:45 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren, nike free run, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, polo outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, christian louboutin uk, chanel handbags, nike air max, air max, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, replica watches, jordan shoes, uggs on sale, burberry pas cher, longchamp outlet, jordan pas cher, ugg boots, nike free, kate spade outlet, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

vuggs outlet, michael kors outlet online, hollister pas cher, michael kors, nike blazer pas cher, replica handbags, michael kors outlet online, new balance, polo lacoste, nike air max, true religion outlet, hogan outlet, nike free uk, nike roshe run uk, burberry outlet, abercrombie and fitch uk, nike air max uk, nike air force, ray ban uk, michael kors outlet, coach outlet store online, michael kors outlet online, ralph lauren uk, lululemon canada, north face uk, michael kors outlet, uggs outlet, mulberry uk, michael kors outlet online, kate spade, hollister uk, coach purses, converse pas cher, burberry handbags, coach outlet, true religion outlet, north face, true religion jeans, timberland pas cher, guess pas cher, sac hermes, nike tn, michael kors, ray ban pas cher, oakley pas cher, sac vanessa bruno, vans pas cher, michael kors outlet, nike air max uk

 
At 5:49 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

soccer jerseys, mac cosmetics, reebok outlet, vans outlet, valentino shoes, hollister, herve leger, nike air max, lancel, instyler, hollister clothing, north face outlet, nike roshe run, nike air max, ferragamo shoes, hollister, converse outlet, ray ban, jimmy choo outlet, longchamp uk, ralph lauren, iphone cases, bottega veneta, p90x workout, converse, nfl jerseys, gucci, babyliss, chi flat iron, insanity workout, mcm handbags, vans, soccer shoes, new balance shoes, oakley, hermes belt, timberland boots, baseball bats, wedding dresses, louboutin, celine handbags, ghd hair, asics running shoes, abercrombie and fitch, lululemon, nike trainers uk, nike huaraches, mont blanc pens, beats by dre, north face outlet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home