Tuesday, July 25, 2006

A new place called Home

Today, I found out where I will be living for the next two years. Super exciting!

I can only give you a few bits of information about it, because I don´t have more myself... but here it is: I will be living in a small province (state) called Carchi that is in northern Ecuador bordering Columbia. The town where I will be living is called Mira and there are about 5,000 people there. It is not really in the mountains and not really in the temperate zone; kind of in-between. The majority of the people are Afro-Ecuadorian and it is an area famous for producing the best soccer players in the country (virtually all of the players on the World Cup team were from this area).

I will be hanging out with loosely organized groups of youth and trying to figure out what I can do to participate in what they are already doing and then figure out ways that I can enhance and capacitate them to do other things. It seems as though I will have a lot of freedom and a lot of flexibility in what I am doing, but there are already a lot of young adults interested and working hard, so I am excited about joining them.
I will be going to visit Mira all next week, so I will have a little better idea of what is going on and what it is like.

I tried to put on a couple of photos... Let´s hope it worked. A few are just vista´s, a couple others are really cool friends, and one has most of my Ecuadorian family along with some Peace Corps friends. I will put more up soon (as long as it worked this time).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home