Saturday, December 29, 2007

Carta Navideño

In the past few weeks, I have gotten out of my normal routine a few times. Although, it is probably not what you imagine when you think of me in "Ecuador-South America", life is generally fairly predictable and normal; it is also interesting and enjoyable, so don`t think that this a negative thing.

My life continues to be dominated by work with four community groups, three of which are now in the production phase of beekeeping (Yeah! An exciting and successful stage!). The other group is attempting to maintain a small tree nursery and produce fruit trees. It has been moderately successful to this point, but I am a bit worried and have much work to do regarding that project.

I am TREMENDOUSLY excited that my parents and little sister will be arriving here in Ecuador for an (almost) two week stint one week from today!! I am disappointed and saddened by my inability to be with the Gisel and Picklo families for the second straight year. I grow more and more appreciative for family, and I have been given an amazing, supportive, fun, and loving family. That I have not been able to spend time with you all in such a long time is a terrible falla!

Despite being far from family, I had a wonderful Christmas. I spent Christmas eve with a great family who I consider good friends. It is the family that I stayed with upon arriving here for about 2 months, so I have known them for a year and half. We celebrated together with a midnight turkey dinner (which actually started a bit after 10pm on the 24th, but ended after midnight). It was delicious as well as fun.

The 25th, I met up with 2 friends and traveled most of the day down to a beautiful town a few hours south of the capital. We ended the day with a short hike to the top of a 11,000ft "hill". We spent the next two days hiking around the town. One day we hiked into a huge canyon and then wandered around all day, a bit lost, but enjoying a soaking rain and repeatedly trudging back and forth through a small river. The other day, we did a tiring hike up to a beautiful crater lake.

Then, yesterday, we finished off our Christmas Hiking Tour by summeting (climbing) a mountain called Iliniza Norte. I will hopefully be able to put up pictures relatively soon, but you know me. If you want to see a picture go to the following page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illiniza . Iliniza Norte is the mountain on the right (the other one is Iliniza Sur... North and South). It is one the 10 tallest peak in Ecuador at 5,126m or 16,817ft!

It was an exciting, but nerve-racking climb!

I hope to hear from you. If you have a second, just add a comment and let me know what`s happening, or send me a real email.

4 Comments:

At 7:28 AM, Blogger Brenda said...

Great to hear from you again, Steve! We missed you at the Gisel Christmas. We had a good day and enjoyed a 12 Days sing with costumes supplied by Amy. I took marshmallow blasters for a craft. Aunt Donna wanted to take a turn at being grandma and so she bought gifts for all of the great grandkids and that was a real hit! She was very thoughtful in her choice of gifts. It was a wonderfully sweet thing to do! Katie also shared beanie babies with all of the kids. We read the Christmas story and sang and played some games. It was great to have Bethany (and Dan, of course) join us! We missed you.
Love,
Brenda

 
At 6:25 PM, Blogger Phinehas said...

I'll comment on here too, just for the fun of it.

Ummm, so you wanna hang out this summer?

 
At 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan -
We missed you at Gisel Christmas. We're looking forward to seeing you this summer at the wedding.

We're so glad you get to see your parents & sister soon ... it was great, as usual, for us to see them last week.

We hear you're doing great things!! We miss you -

Jon, Laura & Fam

 
At 5:48 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

replica watches, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, tory burch outlet, christian louboutin outlet, ugg boots, louboutin pas cher, nike air max, ray ban sunglasses, oakley sunglasses wholesale, louis vuitton, prada handbags, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, nike outlet, louis vuitton, cheap oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin, oakley sunglasses, tiffany jewelry, polo ralph lauren, nike free run, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet online, polo outlet, sac longchamp pas cher, nike roshe, christian louboutin uk, chanel handbags, nike air max, air max, longchamp pas cher, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin shoes, replica watches, jordan shoes, uggs on sale, burberry pas cher, longchamp outlet, jordan pas cher, ugg boots, nike free, kate spade outlet, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, tiffany and co, oakley sunglasses, oakley sunglasses

 

Post a Comment

<< Home